Thursday, August 14, 2014

"Fantomas I: In the Shadow of the Guillotine" (1913)

I've watched 1 or 2 of the Fantomas movies, but I haven't necessarily seen them in order.  I don't think this is one of the ones I've already seen, but it definitely sets up the characters, and now that I've seen a few, I have a little better idea what is going on.  Helps to see them in order--you know--better to see them as "here's the characters" followed by "here's what happens next" instead of the other way around.  Even if I have seen this one before, it was good to see it again feeling more in the know and having a little easier time keeping track of who's who.

Silent film cinematography tricks intrigue me.

This Fantomas:  sets up characters, and some of the initial impetus for how everyone is connected to everyone else.  Characters include Fantomas, Inspector Juve, Lady Beltham, Princess Danidoff, and Nibet.  This episode has a few other characters besides those, but I think these are some of the characters that also have impacts on the plot in episodes to come.

I'm assuming the music was a modern addition when they restored the film even though it was "period".

No comments:

Post a Comment