Sunday, September 7, 2014

"A Werewolf Boy" (2012)

Foreign film (subtitles).  Korean I think.  (Yep, Korean.)

It has parts of lots of stories from before, but puts it together as it's own.  Could I even begin to list them all?  Part romance, part sci-fi.  Okay, mostly childhood romance with the romance of Titanic as it's flavor.  Sci-fi like the incredible hulk--enough to make the romance stand out as unique, but not so much that you feel like you're only watching a sci-fi movie.  And nobody kisses.  So then is it really a romance?  And I think there are connections to "Beauty and the Beast".  The romance, I suppose, is more like Tarzan, except maybe a better ending.  (Okay, I don't know how tarzan ends.  Maybe I'm thinking Jungle Book?)  Save this movie when you feel like savoring the small moments, not when you want fast-paced story or tons of action.  (Okay, even I fast forwarded once or twice, but the forwarding didn't last long--and the parts turned out to be important, one of which at the end of the movie I went back to see.)  Also brings up questions (not surprisingly) of "Who is the real beast?" with all the expected answers--but it's nice to hear them asked again anyway.

I think I expected this movie to be a "fail" and turn into a thriller/horror flick.  Or a drama that turned boring after the first half hour passed.  But neither was the case, and I was rather pleased with it.  The Sci-Fi-ness was probably closer to X-Men premise then anything.

I think the only point of improvement I could think would be maybe the movie cover art work.  Guess a person judges a lot about a movie by the "front cover" and that made it hard to see what this movie was going to be like.  But the front cover wasn't wrong either.  Kind of sets up your expectations--and then maybe (if you're observant) you catch what your expectations are and realize that you aren't on the inside circle, the inside circle of the two characters you're rooting for.

And that "creepy" walk up to the door?  The one where there's "always" music to heighten... Well, that was kindly left out.  No music.  So, you had to guess yourself.  Will you be startled?  Will there even be anything there?  What will you find?  Should you open the door?  Or are you just being ridiculous?

So, there you go.  A title that is accurate, yet misleading.  A front cover that is misleading, yet appropriate.  A sci-fi movie that hardly feels like, yet it is.  The feel of a romance yet it isn't, not strictly.  I think I was glad I spent the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment