Monday, October 6, 2014

"Peter & the Wolf" (2006)

This is a half hour film--Polish, I believe--of Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf.  Now, I grew up listening to Leonard Bernstein's Peter and the Wolf.
I can't tell you how much I listened to that as a kid and how delighted I was to find that old record on a CD as an adult.  I couldn't but hear Bernstein's voice in my head.  Nevertheless, adaptations of familiar works are a good thing.  This adaptation certainly made me wonder how much of Bernstein's version was Bernstein's two cents and how much was Prokofiev's.  No dialog in this version; so you don't need to worry about Polish or subtitles.

I was pleased with this adaptation.  It's primarily puppet (no puppet strings, just orchestra ones) with digital assist.  (That's how I read it.)  I was intrigued by when she chose to start the music in this story.

And that cat!!!  Garfield has nuthin' on this fat cat.  Trust me, this is one, fat. cat.  And there are a couple of moments that made laugh out loud.  And suspense of story--even for a familiar story--came from some interesting places.  I also definitely didn't guess that ending.  Thought I knew.  Nope.  Quite the duck.  Only actor who could have carried off that part, I guess, in spite of what is typical of ducks in general (tongue in cheek).

That cat!!!  :D




[According to IMDB, this movie won an Oscar for best animated short film.  Director and writer is Suzie Templeton.]

No comments:

Post a Comment