Wednesday, June 19, 2013

"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" (2012)

Mmmm.  Happy.

And of course, the noble moments had to include a French horn sound.  :)  I was glad to see they include at least one song from within the world of the story--the dwarfs singing around Bilbo's fireplace--since Tolkien included so much song inside the books himself.  And it was well-chosen--men's voices, heartbeat tones to the melody, undercurrent providing current for the emotion the jolly brashness tried to cover.

And the throwing the dishes scene held a strong link to one of my own creative writing creation's traits.  :)

Well-done.  The whole thing.

I like.

2 comments:

  1. I liked it too. Especially the singing scene around the fire. I was nervous that they were going to go too "cute" with that scene, but they played it completely straight and let us see dwarves as people with history and dignity as opposed to silly little men who love gold (which admittedly they also are, but no one is only one thing). The parts of the LotR trilogy (the Jackson films) that I liked least were the parts where Gimli was played for comic relief ("Nobody tosses a dwarf" et al), so I was really glad to see the dwarves presented as something other than caricature. That said, I was a little disappointed that the elves songs weren't represented (tra-la-la-lally, come back to the valley, etc). But on the whole, that movie was exactly what The Hobbit looked like in my head when I read it as a little girl, and that was a very very happy thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed: I'm sure Lynn the director's adaptation of "The Hobbit" would look as different as my adaption of Percy Jackson's the Lightning Bolt thief.

      Delete