Tuesday, August 13, 2013

"Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters" (2013)

Watched it at the drive-in, the first movie of a double feature for a great price.  I was fine with how they did the adaptation.  They had to make Tyson the cyclops a little less politically objectionable, but they kept his characterization pretty close to the book otherwise.  Doing such may have made less objections to him (by people who haven't read the book), but it took away some of the book's humor.  Nevertheless, it was understandable because if they'd stayed identical to or closer than they did to the language patterns in the book, there would've been some misunderstandings by part of the audience--and very understandable "objections" at that.  I'm attributing it to translating the story from one medium to another.  The book had to rely on speech patterns to convey some of the characterization.  Those speech patterns would've come across all wrong in the movie.

I liked the movie.  They finally had Clarisse in there.  (I know this is only Percy Jackson #2, but she should've been in movie #1.)

I liked it.  Yep, I'm still a Percy Jackson fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment