Monday, December 30, 2013

"Cold Comfort Farm" (1995)

I stalled watching this movie, then wondered why I hadn't watched it sooner.  When the movie ended, I found that I had a smile across my face.  Where did that come from?

My best guess for the stall, I think, comes from two parts.  First, I read the novel sometime back--it was part of one of my early excursions into the English literature field--and I wasn't sure how much of the novel I remembered.  There was quite a bit of "how do I figure?" going on in that early excursion, and I'm sure it colored my perceptions of those first literature experiences.  Likely that I would have different views had that first round of literature come at any other time but first, but somethin's got to be first, so that lot was as good as any--and maybe the better for it.  So, reading the novel this movie was based on was back farther than I would like.  I would've liked the novel and movie watching to be a little closer together--or perhaps have re-read the novel.  But, I decided tonight was the night to watch the movie (before it was yanked off Netflix streaming).  Was just going to watch the beginning of it (to see if there were any random animal parts falling off like in the book), but I ended up watching the whole thing.  That's a good thing.

The second reason for the stall would have to be the "DVD cover".  It was not one that did anything for me.

Delightful music, including over the end credits.  With the understanding that it's been "ages" since I've read the book, I thought the movie was well done.  I recognized the actor's name Stephen Fry in the beginning credits.  Identified actress Miriam Margoyles (Professor Sprout of the Harry Potter movie series) as Mrs. Beetle in this film.

I suppose that the ending was changed some (gotta make that book fit), but if you didn't know the novel (or if you'd forgotten most of it), then what's it matter?  Ending worked for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment