Saturday, December 28, 2013

"Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" (2007)

I think my mistake with this movie series was to think of it as 4 separate movies.  That really isn't the case.  It's just one big movie coming out in four parts Charles Dickens' style.

I also think that this movie in particular works better to see it on the big screen in theaters when a person has made an event of "going to the movies".  The only advantage home viewing has is the ability to rewind when you find yourself going "What did they say?", especially when deciphering some of the spoken accent lines and plot twists that happen in concentrated moments.

It's really a movie, I-I think, that a person needs to be in the mood for.  If you're not in the mood for it, it's not going to sit well and certainly isn't going to persuade you (ur, me) that it's any good.  If you are in the mood for it, then it can suit admirably.

I rented this movie when I was in the mood for it, but then was delayed in watching it both for schedule and health reasons.  Yesterday when I started watching it, it was because I figured it was time to get it sent back, not because I was in the mood for it.  Therefore, yesterday my sentiments were along the line of "subtitle:  How to take a simple story with a love interest and stretch it out into soap opera proportions".  However, I didn't finish it before it was time to turn in.  Today in finishing it, I was definitely in the mood for the movie and have a much different view of it.  Today it is "This is a movie that needs to be seen on the big screen.  Well done."

And I'm glad the movie music has been marketed.  It is really rather wonderful.  And I love the way the music theme was established at the beginning, threaded in places in the middle, and then used for the end credits.  To me, that is a solid use of music in a movie.  Why should the end credit music have a different character than the rest of the movie?  It shouldn't.  And the music for this one was done well.

Sure seems that the costumes and set people should have had a lot of fun creating for this series.

Now, how is this one-movie-in-four-parts going to end?  In a way that satisfies my tastes (hardly the creators' criteria) or in a general way (rather loose, technically finished, but unsatisfactory).  I predict there is a fair chance of the first option, considering the record of tight plot maneuvering so far.  I will see when I watch what I assume will be the conclusion in the next movie.

SPOILER ALERT:  A lady as the pirate king?  How cool is that!  Jack Sparrow in the other world was an interestingly creative sequence.  Surreal?  And at least one other lady pirate lord--fair enough.  And a bit of a teaser, female tidbit, reward for watching all the way through the credits.  Hmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment