Thursday, March 27, 2014

"State Fair" (1962)

Music is better--better singers (Bobby Darin, Pat Boone), songs seem better somehow, better use of music in the background, maybe music recorded better, too.

Not sure that I liked the story better, though.  Of the subtle differences in story, I think I prefer the 1945 version overall.  Okay, maybe 1 or 2 story changes I liked better in this version.  Still I think I'd take the 1945 story with the 1962 music.  This might be an interesting movie to look at as a crossover/clash of 50s values (which win out) and the 60s values to come (which do flavor the show some).  I may be reading in some of the 60s bit--reading in something that isn't there.  But, it isn't just a modernization of the 1945 version.  There is something a little bit different about it--something besides the singing--and that's what I think it is.  It's trying to cross over into the 60s, but isn't ready to leave the 50s yet.

My recommendation, watch for the music--and if you like looking at those early race cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment