Thursday, July 10, 2014

"Max Steel" (2013)

TV series.  Just watched the first 2 episodes.  This has all the right combos for what I like in my superhero watching.  Vulnerability (he needs "Steel").  Supernatural super hero (he can do cool things).  And, of course, I'm a sucker for a super hero's first few episodes ("What's happening to me?") where the whole identity issue hits the main character smack in the eyes.  Throw in lots of short-lived action and a bit of humor, (e.g. "I'm married to this toaster?") and it's a great combination for me.  The first 2 episodes of this series are continued into the next (each episode is only 20 minutes in length), so I'm hoping the cliff hangers are just a quirk of getting started (which is pretty typical).  Otherwise, I won't get anything done.  I understand why shows do cliff hangers and I understand the "advance" of story telling in making long interconnected stories that span one episode to the next. But I miss having the story end.

Maybe I better clarify that.

I want to know what happens next, and not have the story end, as it relates to characters.  The people development parts of things.  But, I don't want it to stretch out to where I need to watch more, and more, and more, just to get to some sort of chord resolution in the piece.  Come to the end of a cadence already.

Here's another illustration.  Who would write a mystery--TV show, miniseries, or movie--and then end the thing before you find out "Who dunnit?"  You'd have a mad audience and a short-lived run.  Why in the world should all the other shows--and books!--be different?  They're like a run-on sentence.  You might have a lot to say, but it's overwhelming.  The commitment then isn't "Do I want to watch another episode?"  The commitment is for the entire series.  That's quite an investment.

But I also don't want it to where it doesn't ever matter what episode you watch next because they're interchangeable.  Nothing changes between characters.  That's relaxing sometimes; so there's a place for those shows, too.  But it can get pretty shallow, otherwise, when you keep things that way.

And the whole "Superhero Loses Parent" headline?  Yep.  That's here, too.  Figures.

No comments:

Post a Comment