Friday, May 29, 2015

"She's All That" (1999)

I normally like "Cinderella" story lines--decided I even favor them.  So, I was optimistic that I'd enjoy this film.  I was thinking it would score at least a 4 out 5, maybe even a 5.  But it scored a 3.

The storyline was indeed "Cinderella" and it had a great build up, all the way through to the high tension moment near the end. ... You know how when you watch a movie and the bad guys get it, and then you chide yourself for rooting for the demise of another human being?  Okay, maybe that's just me.  But, I'll do that.  I'll be happy the opposition got "what's coming to them" and then scold myself later.

Want to see what it would look like to have the good guys win and not parade the bad guys demise on the screen?  That would be this movie.  The good guys win, sorta, and the bad guys lose, I guess. Well, the boy and girl got together and it was pretty, but all the other--okay, most of the other stuff was left out, skimmed past, and told 2nd hand.  And then, boom, the movie is over.  And the end credit music didn't help. (More about that in a minute.)  So, the broad story line was great but the ending felt like a let down.  How do you manage to let an audience down and still have a happy ending?  Was it to avoid being cliche like every other romance in an attempt to be different?  Then wouldn't more of the movie have been different?  I don't know what's worse/better:  having a "fill in the blank" movie that is immensely satisfying, or a "we managed to do the impossible and made it unique" with what felt like a dud ending to me.  Maybe this hit somewhere between the two extremes.  The problem is then it becomes lukewarm and that is not much better.  If you're going to be different, than be different.  If you're going to be "fill in the blank," then fill in the blanks well.

There were, I suppose, a few "comic" moments.  I didn't like them.  I recognized them as "humor" but instead of even being amused (and definitely not laughing), I found myself wondering how many teenagers would be laughing their heads off at those moments.  Not me.  Get on with it.  Did I mention those moments were crass?

Side note:  lead character's little brother apparently wore hearing aids, but it never came up as any figure of dialogue, story, or even character.  So, at most, they were costume props.  That may not be a bad thing.  Maybe even good--that that sort of thing is normal and not a big deal.  Just struck me as untypical to include something like that and then do nothing with it.  And we've arrived back at the "Are they trying to be original here?" question.

So, most of the story was well done up until the conclusion.  The characters were fine.  The humor was not.  Music.

I liked the school sidewalk rap about Laney.  I'm sure the Prom dance was a matter of high interest for the teen crowd in the audience ("What moves are they doing?").  I'm not sure I felt the end credit music fit.  I will fully admit I'm not in touch with what's current--not now and not when this was filmed.  But from my own view point, the end credit music neither helped the ending soar, nor helped the audience transition back to reality.  The pud ending was followed by music that didn't seem to fit--at least not stylistically.  I can't tell you about the words.  I was too busy trying to puzzle out what I felt "my" story was missing ["Hey where's my..."] to pay attention to words.

One creative bit I did like is how they filmed the flashback early on and the one dream sequence.  The transitions to both were wonderful as well as how each fit editing-wise with the rest of the movie.  I like how both "played" with reality.  Very nice.

I don't feel like I got my end of the bargain with this movie, BUT I don't find it a waste of time either.  I just wanted a different last 15 minutes of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment