Friday, May 15, 2015

"The Rescuers" (1977)--Revisited

The very first movie that I saw in movie theaters that I can actually remember the title of is The Rescuers.  I remember my Dad recounting afterwards how I'd gotten "tickled" at the chase scene near the end.  And now, X-number of years later, I still find that chase scene grinningly funny.  The only difference is then it was brand new and the here-and-now I can put words to why it was funny--or I can try.  For me, it's not the slapstick, not so much.  Instead, some of it is the unexpected.  Some of it is actually managing to capture irony.  The moment that most captures my funny bone?  When the jack rabbit snaps his fishing reel back to snag the turtle and the turtle says, "I don't need no one's help" when he very clearly does.  The turtle snaps and the jack rabbit doesn't bat an eye taking it all in stride and helps him anyway.  That's the moment that does it.  Every. Time.  lol.  :D    And the music in that section just adds to it.  Music/sound adds SO much to a movie.  Don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment