Wednesday, May 22, 2013

"Exodus" (1960)

While I was growing up, I remember playing on Grandma's electric organ.  She had a book or two that you played chord keys with the left hand while you played the melody with the right hand.  I imagine at one point or another I played all the way through all those songs at least once, but there was bound to be a couple of songs more favored than the others.  I remember "Alley Cat" being one of those favored.  "Exodus" had to be the other.  I don't know that I remember even any other titles.  I think that the appeal of "Alley Cat" was it's jazzy rhythms and boogie melody.  It was also certainly something relate-able; to a kid, a song about cats is about cats, and only about cats.  As for "Exodus", that had to be something Biblical, right?  But it also had those low notes scattered throughout the melody.  Playing ledger notes was cool.  And there's something contagious about that melody.  But, I could never figure out why I never noted it in the movie.

I know now why.  I was familiar with the movie "Ten Commandments" and wasn't aware that "Exodus" was a completely different movie.  And even if I was aware of that, I figured it was just a "less popular" version of the same story.

Tonight, I put this movie in the player, and from the start, there was that song that I knew so well.  Tonight, I remembered Grandma's organ.  And realized that I didn't know the movie at all.  Just that contagious song.

The movie put that song to good use.  Used that melody like a theme and variations song--now somber, now miltaristic/march-like, now reflective, now bold.  Only thing missing was hearing it one more time through the end credits.  Yeah, no end credits.  They're all at the beginning, I guess.  Well, that, and the movie is before end credits become quite so long (which I usually don't mind).

The movie has a slow start.  Or maybe if you're more prepared for a slow-paced movie, then it isn't a slow start.  Just a slow paced movie.  Admittedly, that's probably from today's standards, which I shouldn't do.  Even the action sequences, though aren't hold-your-breath-fast.  But, the story is interesting enough, once the story gets going, and if you give it a chance.

You should be aware that this is a long movie by time standards.  3 hrs. and 28 minutes.  The subject of the film is founding of the modern-day nation of Israel.  Apparently based on a book.  It's not an action flick.  It's not entirely a reflective flick either.  It does do a good job of capturing the spirit of the people--not that I was there (obviously)--but, I say that, because that's what strikes me as one of the movie's strongest points:  that determined look on Ari Ben Canaan's face (Paul Newman), the old man on the left of the chess board who shouted back at Canaan's options, the concentration of many other characters playing the extras or minor roles.

I debated with myself hanging in there to watch such a long "lazy" movie, but I am glad that I watched it to the end, even considering it's ending (though, I can't imagine what other ending you would put.  No other ending would fit).

No comments:

Post a Comment