Thursday, May 16, 2013

"The Big Sleep" (1946)

Another Humphrey Bogart private eye movie.  Again, well written plot that keeps you watching.  I had to do a shout out when he asked the book salesgirl to take her glasses off.  What's wrong with glasses??!!  Good-looking girls can't have glasses, huh?  Okay, I know.  That's a "thing"--girls with glasses don't get the lead; or if they do, they end up ditching the glasses part way through the story.  Yeah, minor thing--and nothing surprising.  It was just interesting to see it so blatant in the movie.  The same line of thinking exists in later movies, but they're more subtle about it.  Not sure which I prefer--be blunt yet open about a stereotype or perpetuate it but pretend it doesn't exist.  And I know doing this with any stereotype isn't new either.  Lauren Bacall.  Got to hear her sing a little piece of a song--back when alto leads were okay to enjoy.  Max Steiner music.  Almost have to watch the movie a second time to make sure I got all the Who-Dun-It-To-Who straight.  This Bogart's character (Philip Marlowe) was still gruff/blunt and good at thinking on his toes.  Not sure I see much difference between this character portrayal and the character of Sam Spade.  So, why bother changing the name?  Variety, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment