Saturday, October 19, 2013

"Overcome" (2008)

If you think of this as a modernization of the Saul to Paul story from Acts, then it's a pretty good story.  It's fairly non-denominational Christian--for sure, not Lutheran--but it's not overtly anything else.  In fact, the place the Bible is pretty much in the back ground and God and Jesus pretty non-existent.  So, if you're looking for something with strong themes that way, you may be disappointed.  However, if you see it as a modernization of a Bible story (without the "becomes an apostle" ending) then they do well with it.  That makes it hard to figure.  If just looking for a good, decent story, then it succeeds.  If you're looking for something with strong Christian or Christ themes, then it's not quite there.  I don't know that I like calling that failing though.  Can it be okay to just go part of the way?  I know when it came to books, I disliked tales that just slapped a verse here and there and just left out the whole salvation story.  Why bother calling it Christian if it is only barely that?  In that way, this movie risks the same criticism--why bother putting it in there at all if it is only going to be in there minimally.  If you try not to offend any branch of Christian, then won't you risk offending all of them?  Or is it a statement that maybe movies aren't the best place to get into the depths of where change comes from?  I think I'm going to be guilty of playing both sides--I think that the movie should've added more than it did.  At the same time, I think that the moment it would've added more, it would've felt forced and unrealistic.  So, where is that happy medium?  If you're going to put any in there, then put it in boldly.  I think part of the fact might be that I am Lutheran.  Being vague about beliefs, about doctrine, about how Christ is integrated into my life is very different from those who grow up going to church but don't know what it is they are going for.  That 2nd way of thinking is foreign to me.  So, perhaps this needs a non-Lutheran Christian to tell me if this is more relateable to their high school experiences?

I think this movie does an accurate job of portraying high school life.  I think it does a nice job telling a story.  And I think it does a fair job of modernizing Saul-Paul; (I'll rate that 73% success with that)--so passing, but not outstanding.

SPOILER ALERT:  Story elements--includes the girl playing tennis--character Sarah.  The guy plays hockey, but hockey really only shows up a little at the beginning.  Youth events--volleyball, Frisbee (ultimate frisbee?).  Prayer is shown, but mostly not heard.  Colton has a vision--done through image collage, but nothing is heard--though he reports something heard.  Sarah's knee gets bunged up.  Colton's arm is in a sling for a little while.  Not everyone comes around by the end of the movie.  It does show quite a turn around from Colton before and Colton after.  Music present, but nothing outstanding.  Church is gone to, but not shown at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment