Friday, October 18, 2013

"South Pacific" (1958)

May be a slight hint at spoiling here:

In my opinion--and even if its sounds far fetched--this musical seems to me like a more "modernized" and more musical version of Taboo with a slightly happier ending, a semi-happy ending.  (There's one of your slight spoilers.)

And maybe 'cause we just finished studying it, Billis has reminiscences of Falstaff when it comes to war.  And there, too, both stories have a couple of people in love with each other who can't hardly speak a lick of each other's language; and yet they are married or pretty close to it.  Sure.

Of course, the music is very nice, very wonderful.  Part of what is so well-known about this musical.  I don't have any argument there.  And the scenery is lovely.  Just not quite my line of story-telling.  But now I can say I've seen this musical.  I like the opening number--but that might be because it's a little more light-hearted, and I like bass voices--they don't use 'em enough, in my opinion.  Don't get me wrong--nothing wrong with baritones or tenors.  You need a tenor for that "Some Enchanted Evening".

No comments:

Post a Comment