Sunday, April 20, 2014

"Breaking the Maya Code" (2008)

This is one of those documentaries that could get political pretty quickly--which is something I'd rather avoid.  It's not that it is a political topic--it only touches on the cold war briefly--but in edging on it and in asking myself, "What do I think?", the topic can come up pretty quickly.

I enjoyed learning the history of this topic in this documentary.  And I'm always saddened when what isn't understood is destroyed just on the basis of ignorance of the person or group of people doing the destroying.
I know they worked to end on a positive note--and were successful, I think.

This is also probably the first academic topic that has made me question the healthiness (for lack of a better word) of academic debate.  I certainly think that there should be freedom of speech.  As with any freedom comes responsibility.  And with responsibility and freedom comes our natural penchant to sin and mess things up.  This includes disrespect for the other side of the debate.

I also found with this documentary that I had to think about, "What makes a top rated documentary (in my book)?"  I certainly have opinions on it, and it is a theme I seem to address in many of my documentary blogs.

This documentary has got me thinking about all sorts of topics that could be dived into by themselves.  The above just scrapes a little bit of each one.  Any documentary that can get a person to do that while only attempting to inform about a particular topic is saying something.  And the topic this time?  Reading classical (ancient) Mayan writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment