Friday, September 27, 2013

"The Hollow Crown: Richard II" (2012)--thoughts a week later

I've been thinking about that coffin across that marble floor off and on all week.  You know, it's not surprising to have a song from a movie stuck in your head; that's usually a tribute, something strived for.  And I'm sure there's all sorts of top lists--top lists for movie soundtracks, for movie songs, etc.  And I know they win awards for sound editing and such.  I'm also sure there's lists of favorite scenes, favorite moments, favorite lines...

What about favorite sounds?  Does that list exist somewhere?  I mean, I know people have favorite lines.  I remember playing card games in college where the winner (or was it the loser?) had to quote a line from Monty Python before we played the next game/round.

So where are the sounds?  I remember loving the TV specials of best bloopers from filming TV episodes or best/favorite commercials.  Where are the sounds?

I keep hearing that sound of the coffin scraping across that marble floor.  It's like the sound equivalent of encapsulating the whole entire play.  The King and the rights of legitimate kingship is the marble floor, and King Henry IV is not only the coffin scraping his desires across any rightful rights of kingship, but he's the one that put the coffin there.  It was his words, his actions, his doing.  And he scraped and grated and noisily trashed everything he was going for.  Brought death into what was prime.

There might be many a line or soliloquy or monologue that would summarize the entirety of Richard  II and all its themes, but my vote is for that one unforgettable sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment