Sunday, April 28, 2013

"A Nous la Liberte'" (1931)


I'm afraid I'm listening to this with too modern of a set of ears to hear the novelty of what was going on with sound with this movie.  Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed this one.  In my opinion, the plot isn't as predictable as many movies are--and it's not a mystery movie either.  It's a light-hearted movie; I wouldn't call it a musical, but it's not far from it.  I did catch at least one musical joke that prompted me to laugh out loud (the dinner entertainment).  This movie is also in the same spirit as Chaplin's "Modern Times".  There is some social critique going on, but it doesn't make for somber movie-viewing.  French film.

Upon thinking further:  I think the fact that the factory is a phonograph factory and that this is an early sound film is intended to speak something really loudly.

No comments:

Post a Comment