Sunday, April 28, 2013

"Call Me Madam" (1953)

First, a clarification: I don't see any fault with the singing, dancing, plot of this musical. If you enjoy the dance sequences in musicals, this are just fine. The leading lady, Ethel Merman, I'm sure is quite well known and in fine form. I did enjoy George Sanders singing, Donald O'Connor's singing and dancing and the sets. However: There's only one way I can think to explain the "However" part. In theater, I remember being taught when you are directing comedy, if you try to be funny, then often you take away the humor. To get the humor out, often you can't do it deliberately. The situation or line is funny enough as is without you Trying to be funny. This concept is my "however" to the movie--they're "trying to be funny"; only I'm not talking about the musical's light-hearted moments. They're "trying to do a musical"--it's like they're trying too hard. It's an Irving Berlin musical--which some how seems to be out of place--or they're trying too hard. Maybe trying to keep "what has always worked in the past" going after a point when things needed to change. Again, other than this between-the-lines quality, I have no fault with the movie. Okay, maybe I didn't quite care for Ethel Merman's vocal qualities--a little hard line for my taste--but that's likely more a personal preference than any fault. Cute story, otherwise--maybe make a good high school musical.

No comments:

Post a Comment