Sunday, April 28, 2013

"This Is the Army" (1943)

Started with a couple of explanations--one was the origin and purpose of the film (money raiser), the other involving the historical/cultural context of black face. Even with the forewarning, black face seems strange to me. That's probably a good thing. Aside from that, a lot of numbers I really enjoyed--"This is the Army, Mr. Jones", the acrobatics (I guess you call it that--different handstand formations), and other bits. I liked the generational tie-in with WWI. The movie is mostly a dramatized concert. And the music--tap dancing, men's' chorus, barbershop/multi-part men's harmony, wonderful music. I miss having music like this show up today. One of the early numbers echoed a piece I saw and a different movie ("Yankee Doodle Dandy"? but that doesn't sound right).

No comments:

Post a Comment