Sunday, April 28, 2013

"The Old Man and the Sea" (1958)


Once again I ended up watching the movie before reading the book/story (Hemingway), so once again I can't speak to the adaptation. I will say that after an hour and a half of watching that old man on the sea, my laptop is now moving like the ocean. I will also say that assuming "The Old Man and the Sea" would be written in the same Hemingway style as "The Sun Also Rises", then the use of a voiceover narrator was a good choice; it helped to create the same close distance as his writing style. Music (which is what won the Oscar)--when you think of horses running, you will bring music to mind, or scaling a mountain or flying on a bird. But fighting a fish? Indeed, what music do you compose for that? Dimitri Tiomkin, composer. Early on, and over the credits, there is singing like a cowboy ballad, but I couldn't make out what language--and I'm not sure it matters (adds to the affect). Most of the rest was "movie music" but it was integral enough that when the planned silences came, you noticed. Overall, interesting...as in thoughtful.

I have to add since then, the old man's "I'm sorry fish." has plunked itself down in the middle of my brain. It's not a bad thing, but definitely not one that will be passed over.

No comments:

Post a Comment