Sunday, April 28, 2013

"Somebody Up There Likes Me" (1956)


Turns out to be a boxing movie. After some of my previous "I'm not crazy about this" experiences with previous boxing movies, I was skeptical about this one. Turns out, this one was actually quite good. About a boxer named Rocky Graziano. Good movie. And more going on than just "Can he win the top championship?" and the other story line ain't love/romance--which is also a nice change (that that there aren't smidges of that too; after all, it's a "biopic"). Movie starts and end with a Perry Como song--only music forefronted; Not sure about the rest--which means it was either skillfully invisible, or wasn't there. I suspect it's the first one. Yeah, I'd recommend this--I'd even watch it again--and for me about a boxing movie, that's saying something. Paul Newman starts as Rocky. Black and white picture.

Maybe cinematography Oscar for all the punches at the camera/fight close-ups???

No comments:

Post a Comment