Sunday, April 28, 2013

"Body and Soul" (1947)


Review for first 40/45 minutes of the movie. This was a film editing award winner--and it is clearly evident why. The mother of the lead was the same actress who played the mother in "National Velvet". I could hear in the opening credits the musical clip of the song "Body and Soul" but the song wasn't in the start of the movie. Biggest reason for not finishing this movie: I'm tired. But doesn't look like a bad movie otherwise--just a "typical" boxing movie.

Oh, and this is a boxing movie. Started with the first part of a frame story. Makes me wonder, is it possibly to have any other story line for boxing movies--is that part of the definition? Underdog makes it to the top as champ, but is a lousy chump on the way. I am assuming some of this because of beginning of the frame. So, it seems to me that this movie would be quite similar to Kirk Douglas's boxing movie "Champion". Maybe that means "that's what's in a boxing movie"--and to not have those elements there would be like having a western without a gun fight. I'm guessing here. And I didn't watch the ending this time. So, I can't say what I think of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment