Sunday, April 28, 2013

"Steamboat Willie" (1928)


"Vintage Mickey" (1929--Netflix catalog) A collection of early Mickey films including:  "Steamboat Willie" (1928) First cartoon with original sound, "Plane Crazy"--First Micky cartoon produced.  First Micky & Minnie Mouse appearances. (1928), "The Karnival Kid" (1929)--First cartoon where Mickey speaks, "The Birthday Party" (1931), "The Castaway" (1931), "Mickey's Orphans" (1931), "Mickey's Revue" (1932)--First appearance of Goofy, "Building a Building" (1933), and "Mickey's Steam Roller" (1934).  I can see the "mostly music" cartoon style.  It still is from a very different time (obviously) with some humor that I wouldn't have seen in my childhood.  Then there's some of the cultural differences:  spittoons, girdles, how the door bells apparently worked, out houses, "button me up" underwear, box lunches (for 15c, no less), steam rollers, and of course, a horse's collar.  And, yeah, some of the humor raised my eyebrows--didn't drop my jaw--but did raise my eyebrows, probably mostly because now there are slightly different ideas about what a "cartoon" is--or maybe it's not that it's a cartoon, but the humor was different.  The music is definitely vaudeville influenced.  Seems also a mix of city and country influences--okay so it was a mix, but it seemed more of the country than what you see today.  Or that may just be my perception again.  All the sounds seemed to be in the higher pitched ranges of things.  Only the gorilla playing the piano in "The Castaway" seemed to play lower notes.  Or maybe it's not higher pitch but squeakier tones in general.

Or I could be tired and out of practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment