Sunday, April 28, 2013

"The Great Waltz" (1938)


"We have dramatized the spirit rather than the facts of his life, ..." I'm hung up on this phrase...
 It took me watching the movie to understand this quote. And only watching this movie clarified it ...

A marching bassoon?????
And I stand corrected. They were dancing. Or waltzing. And there were two of them.

Once upon a time, there was a pair of horses pulling a cart. From this cart was heard an argument. "I'm a musical." "No, I'm not." "Yes, I am." "No, I'm not." Meanwhile, from the other direction came another pair of horses pulling another cart. This cart, too, had an argument. "I'm an operetta." "No, an opera." "An operetta." "An opera." Suddenly, with a great Depression spectacle crash, the two carts collided. All four horses ran away with a big chunk of the plot leaving a confusion of two carts and no solution to the arguments. "Well," said one voice, "we have part of the plot left anyway. Let's make it a romance." "Oh," said another voice, "we must make sure it's okay with the censor board, or our audience won't come to see it." "We've got enough pieces of cart here to put a light movie together. Let's see--a smattering of silly from musicals, plenty of high soprano cadenza's to make a piccolo player sigh in delight, and an impressive camera shot following a pair of waltzers in a circle around a garden gazebo to help nail an academy award." "I know! We'll call it...'The Great Waltz'."

No comments:

Post a Comment