Sunday, April 28, 2013

"Man with a Movie Camera" (1929)

Soviet montage. Visually, I kind of liked watching this. Wouldn't mind watching the visual part again sometime--maybe not right away. (Though I wouldn't watch this with young kids, and maybe not even young teenagers, without previewing it first!). Audio-wise, I couldn't tell if the sound was original to the film or not--I could do without the sound track. Music minimalism. I thought about muting the sound half way through the movie, but I couldn't imagine the movie as silent either because the music was kind of integral to the feel of the thing. Part of the time it was minimalist music that reminded me of the honky jazz style that plays in the alto saxophone's altissimo register (can't remember which song and jazz musician does that that I'm thinking of), except it was more of a tenor saxophone playing in it's low register. All of the sound track was definitely 20th century art music. And while most of the movie is okay, yeah, no young kids for those couple scenes, unless you want to answer questions you weren't intending to answer for a least another decade or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment