Sunday, April 28, 2013

"The Thief of Bagdad" (1940)

Okay, I've not read the original Arabian tales--not the complete lot. And I'm afraid my knowledge of them is limited--filled in part by Disney--which are good and interesting movies to watch, but can be quite free with original sources--as ANY moviemaker can be. With my rambly intro, what I'm trying to say is this movie is loosely Aladdin (what I know) except it's pretty much not. There's not even half a dozen things that are the same between the two (let's say Disney's Aladdin), but those near-half-a-dozen much enough to wonder. Color film. It's not a comedy, but the music is "ham-y"--more suitable for a comedy. Maybe trying to keep the story light? Maybe not sure how one scores for a movie that's not dread-dark and not comedy either. Pre-computer special effects. I like some of the twists of the story--had to go back and watch an early scene again because I liked it. Spoiler Alert!: How "cheap" is it for a Father to trade his daughter for a toy! The early scene I had to rewatch: the beginning bit with the beggar and the dog. I like the beggar's wit, and I liked the dog's performance. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment