Sunday, April 28, 2013

"A Place in the Sun" (1951)

The movie has been sitting here for 3 weeks, so tonight I put it in despite still being mentally skeptical of it. I ended up having to employ my brother's "40-minute" rule. The movie is based off of a novel called "An American Tragedy" which didn't encourage me any for watching the movie. After 40 minutes, I felt like I was watching "The Grapes of Wrath"--and I've never seen that movie or read that book, but that's the phrase that kept in my mind. Slow beginning and nothing story wise to keep me rooting for anyone or to keep me watching. I supposed the 3 academy awards were well merited, it's hard to say. I wasn't real excited. I recognized one of the minor characters (main character's mom) from other movies I've seen (Anne Revere?). Movie also stars Elizabeth Taylor.  Music by Franz Waxman.

No comments:

Post a Comment