Sunday, April 28, 2013

"The Adventures in Robin Hood" (1938)

When I was in high school, I watched the movie "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves". While I wouldn't call the movie a "I gotta rewatch it" movie, I loved the music from it enough to buy the sheet music. I played that music for a long time and it still ranks among the music I like playing (as I get to it). A few years ago, I read the Robin Hood stories. I liked them even better then the "Prince of Thieves" movie. Don't get me wrong--the "Prince of Thieves" is a quality action movie--but the spirit of the book was more one of jest. Maybe closer to the original "A-Team" series. This multiple award winning version (1938) is of a spirit of the book--laughter in the face of danger, fanciful rescues, and, while no campfire songs as the book documents, the soundtrack is rousing enough to qualify. The spirit of the book--just fun, good-guys-get-the-bad-guys, good-guys-win fun, wrapped up in a movie. I very rarely rank a movie I'd watch multiple times. This is one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment